May 1, 2010

Hippiehampton, Take II*

I'm not sure of the occasion (May Day?) (and who needs an occasion for a drum circle!) but I can actually hear the drum circle from inside my house. I tend to like it when places so exactly fulfill my expectations of them, but my expectations of Northampton hippies are generally fairly not good, and my dislike of Northampton drum circles is far outweighing the pleasure I could otherwise derive from the situation. I guess to be honest I just really don't like drum circles in general, but to understand that you'd have to understand how many terrible ones I was subjected to as a younger person.

Which reminds me. One time, (a long time ago) my friend dated this guy (in Berkeley, of course) who was super soft spoken and really, really, really present at all times (not in a good way) and ACTUALLY ROUTINELY WORE HIS MOM'S YOGA PANTS. We still talk about this, sometimes, this friend and I. Usually just to affirm, one more time, that this is not a good look, people, not a good look at all. #thingsthatremindmeofcollegebutnotinagoodway.

*I posted this on my tumblr blog already, but then my friend (the one who dated the yoga dude) wanted to know how to add a comment, and honestly I have no idea. Presumably she wants to claim that she didn't really "date" this guy. To which I will add, preemptively, oh yes you did! But that's just a guess. Maybe she recently attended a really enjoyable drum circle and just wants to share. Either way, I am posting this here instead of figuring out how to add Disqus or whatever it is to tumblr because it is Saturday and I'd rather be outside instead of in front of my computer. Comment away girl-who-once-dated-guy-who-routinely-wore-his-mom's-yoga-pants!

4 comments:

  1. I just stumbled upon your blog over the weekend, and there is something about it that I really like. Your writing is sort of soothing if I may say so. Keep up the excellent work, and I also love the photography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully you have friends like me who provide such soothing material for your blog, too bad you did not capture this *alleged* mom's yoga pants wearer so you could have an excellent photo as well. I was indeed about to protest that I did NOT date such a hippie dippy sort but I seem to remember his claw-like toenails peeking out from a blanket so I think we might have made out. In a bed. But only once. The toenails were repulsive and had there been text messaging in those days I would have not returned his texts anymore. I probably just avoided the cafe he frequented. Totally great dinner party topic: what's worse? a. he's in a drum circle b. gross toenails c. he wears his mother's yoga pants. (please note, it was Berkeley and I was 19. I cannot be held too accountable)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I totally don't remember him "being present at all times". But my mother once said that about another "Spiritual" guy I went out with. Once. Being that I'm such a magnet for present guys, I think I should start a cult and teach them how to cut their toenails and wear Levi's (men's Levi's)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! I do remember when blowing a guy off just involved finding a new cafe in which to morosely drink coffee, and yes, that was exactly the equivalent of not returning someone's texts. And thank you KGB0515! So glad you like my blog.

    ReplyDelete