Apr 1, 2010

Hypothesis

That blowing one's nose and washing dishes are techniques learned by exactly mimicking the manner in which one's parents complete such tasks. Also, that no matter how many other types of nose-blowing and dishwashing one eventually is exposed to, one rarely deviates from the original method. One exception: if one's nose blowing technique is deemed "gross" or otherwise generally unacceptable by one's peers. Another exception: if one's dishwashing technique is deemed "delinquently wasteful" or otherwise environmentally unacceptable by one's peers.

(Both of these situations have happened to me, although I have yet to really change my dishwashing technique, so I guess it's not really an exception at all. I probably should, though. I use the running water incessantly technique as opposed to the soak, wash then rinse technique that is, I'm sure, far more inefficient where water is concerned.)

2 comments:

  1. Just so you know, the person I live with and I have the same on-going "discussion" about the running-water method of washing dishes. So it also must be hereditary that one feels the need to comment to the other person that the running-water method is, indeed, wasteful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, very good point. I think I have that gene too, actually, it just doesn't happen to come out regarding dishwashing.

    ReplyDelete